Close this search box.

Immigration Library™

Alberta Rural Renewal Stream (ARR)

Alberta Rural Renewal Stream (ARR)

  • P.N.P: Provincial Nominee Programs
  • S.D: Sponsor-driven
  • E.D: Employer-driven

Table of Contents




Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP)

The Alberta Rural Renewal Stream (ARR) is for foreign nationals with a job offer to work in a rural Alberta community to become permanent residents. Candidates under this stream must be endorsed by the Economic Development Organization (EDO) of their designated rural community in Alberta with a population less than 100,000. 

This stream is community-driven. After designation, the community works with employers to attract, recruit, and retain newcomers by sharing information about settlement supports. This may include housing, education, medical care, and services like language instruction.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



The following requirements must be met if you intend to and be able to reside and work in your designated community in Alberta and are applying to Alberta Rural Renewal Stream:

1- Community Endorsement

You must have an Endorsement of Candidate letter from a designated community in Alberta. The letter must be issued by the local Economic Development Organization (EDO) of the community.

Currently the participating rural communities in Alberta are listed here (➨

2- Job Offer from Alberta rural community

You must have a bona fide full-time job offer or employment contract from an Alberta participating employer to work in an eligible occupation in your designated community.

Your Alberta employer must operate as a company with a manufacturing facility, plant, or place of business in Alberta and be incorporated or registered by or under an act of the legislature of a province, territory, or the Parliament of Canada.

Your job offer cannot be for a part-time, home-based, casual or seasonal job. Independent contractors, business owners or temporary agency workers are not eligible to apply under this program. Job offers for virtual jobs from location outside Alberta are not eligible either.

3- Occupation Requirements

You must have a job offer in an eligible occupation. Most occupations under National Occupational Classification (NOC) (➨Appendix 1) are eligible under the AAIP.

The following occupations are not eligible:

NOC Code Occupation TEER
00010 Legislators 0
60040* Escort agency managers, message parlour managers (other managers in customer and personal services are eligible) 0
41100 Judges 1
51111 Authors and writers (except technical) 1
51122 Musicians and singers 1
42200* Justices of the peace (Paralegal and other related occupations are eligible) 2
53121 Actors, comedians and circus performers 3
53122 Painters, sculptors and other visual artists 3
53124 Artisans and craftspersons 3
53200 Athletes 3
33100* Dental laboratory bench workers (other dental assistants are eligible) 3
44100 Home child care providers 4
44101 Home support workers, caregivers and related occupations 4
64321 Casino workers 4
55109 Other performers 5
65229 Other support occupations in personal services 5
85101 Harvesting labourers 5

4- Licensing, registration and certification

All applicants must meet the following licensing, registration and certification requirements:

  • You must have the required licensing, registration or certification to work in your current occupation in Alberta at the time your application is submitted and at the time the AAIP assesses your application for nomination.
  • If you are working in a compulsory trade in Alberta you must have a valid Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Trade (AIT) recognized trade certificate.
  • If you are working as childcare worker, you must have valid certification as a child development worker or child development supervisor.

5- Work Experience

You must have a minimum of twelve (12) months authorized full-time work experience in an eligible occupation within the last eighteen (18) months prior to your application. Your work experience can be abroad, in Alberta or Canada.

Your work experience in the qualifying period must meet the following requirements:

TEER category of job offer or current occupation is: TEER category of work experience must be:


TEER 0 or 1


TEER 0, 1 or 2

TEER 2 and 3

TEER 1, 2, 3 or 4


TEER 2, 3, 4 or 5


TEER 5 and must be the same occupation

Your work experience must not have been gained while studying in Canada and doing co-op work placements or internships as part of a study program, unless you are a PGWP holder who completed paid co-op work terms as a part of your program of study at an Alberta post-secondary institution. In such case you work experience must all been gained in Alberta.

If you are a PGWP holder who has completed a 2-year eligible study program in your designated community, you are exempt from meeting the 12 month experience criterion.

6- Language Ability

If you are working in a NOC TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 occupation, you must have taken an approved test results and have obtained a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark CLB 5 in all for abilities in English or French (➨Appendix 5).

If you are working in a NOC TEER 4 or 5 occupation, you must have taken an approved test results and have obtained a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark CLB 4 in all for abilities in English or French (➨Appendix 5).

7- Education

You must have one of the following from a high school or a post-secondary institution:

  • Canadian educational credential (certificate, diploma, or degree); or 
  • A valid Alberta Qualification Certificate or trade certificate
  • equivalent foreign credential

Candidates with a foreign education must provide an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report  (➨Appendix 3) for their foreign education.

The ECA Report must not be more than five (5) years old prior to the date the Express Entry profile is submitted.

8- Settlement Funds

Unless you are in Canada, you must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in your designated community based on 50% of Statistics Canada’s Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) based on the population of the community. For the updated table please see (➨Appendix 2).

9- Ineligibility

You are not eligible to apply under the Alberta Rural Renewal Stream if you are a refugee claimant in Canada, a failed refugee claimant, had a removal order, are prohibited from entering or being in Canada, do not have status in Canada or are living illegally in your country of residence.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



Step 1: Find for Job in a Designated Community in Alberta

The first step is to obtain a job offer from an employer in a designated community in Alberta. A designated community, in partnership with their local economic development organization and participating employers, are responsible for recruiting foreign nationals. Candidates may be recruited from within Alberta, Canada or outside of Canada.

The community partnership reviews candidate applications to ensure that they meet all criteria, including program eligibility. Communities may choose to have additional criteria in addition to the mandatory criteria of the stream. This can include a specific skill set or occupations that help the community fill a specific labour need.

If you are confident that you meet the eligibility requirements, you may apply for employment by checking the employment opportunities in one of the following designated communities. Please review the job postings carefully and only submit an application if a job is a fit with your skills, education and experience.

  • City of Brooks (including: Town of Bassano, Village of Duchess, County of Newell and Village of Rosemary) (➨

Step 2: Endorsement from Designated Community in Alberta

If a participating employer provides you a job offer the next step is endorsement by the community. An Endorsement of Candidate Letter is issued to the candidate chosen by the community for the Rural Renewal Stream. The letter includes the information about the candidate, the employer and the job as well as the employer’s efforts to fill the position within Canada.

Step 3: Submit Application to AAIP

If you have all the above requirements, you may submit your application using the AAIP online portal (➨  

AAIP Application
Submit Online Application:
Official Program Guide:
AAIP Application Fee:
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:
780-6382843, 780-6447534
[email protected]

If your application is complete, you will receive an email confirming that your file has been received and accepted for processing. This will include your AAIP file number.

An AAIP officer will contact you by email or phone if information is needed to assess your application and will tell you how to send the information.

You will receive a decision on your application by email. If your application is approved, you will become a Provincial Nominee and get a nomination package by email.

Step 4: Apply for Permanent Residence

If you are nominated by the Province of Alberta, then your next step is to submit a complete application for a permanent resident visa within six (6) months (➨Page).

You must submit your application using the IRCC Permanent Residence Portal (PR Portal) (➨ 

If your application is complete, you will receive a letter or an email confirming that your file has been received and accepted for processing. This letter is called the Acknowledge of Receipt (AOR) and will include your IRCC file number.

Once you have received your acknowledgement of receipt, you can create an online account and link your application to it. By creating an account, you will be able to receive email updates and a more detailed case status.

Apply for a Temporary Work Permit

After you receive a nomination certificate, you may request AAIP for a Work Permit Support Letter. If accepted, this letter permits you to apply for a work permit from the federal government without the need for an LMIA.

If you are in Canada on a valid work permit and your PR application is not finalized, you may be able to apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) (➨Page). This will let you to stay and continue working on a valid work permit until your PR application is finalized.

You may apply for BOWP only if your PR application is approved in principle meaning you have passed the eligibility stage and still have to pass the medical, security and background checks.

Step 5: Landing in Canada

If your application is approved, you will be asked to pay your right of permanent residence fee if you haven’t already done so. You will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and if you are from a country that requires a visa you will also be issued a permanent resident visa.

You will only become a Permanent Resident of Canada when you cross a Canadian port of entry. This is referred to as ‘landing in Canada’ (➨page).

You must land in Canada before the expiry date, which appears on your Canada Immigration Visa. Usually, the expiry date is one (1) year from the time medical examinations were completed. As this is not always the case, be sure to verify the expiry date as soon as the Canada Immigration Visa is received.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.







Table of Contents


Scroll to Top

Kelly Crowl Masterclass

Don’t Miss Out!

Save your spot now and get the early bird discount Early Bird $80 | Drop-in $140