Close this search box.

Immigration Library™

Work Permit – Post-Graduation Work Permit (WP-PGWP)

Post Graduation Work Permit


Table of Contents




Work Permit through International Mobility Program (IMP)

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) (➨ to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. A DLI is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.
Qualified applicants are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (➨ under paragraph R205(c) of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (exemption code C43) (➨

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



You need to know if you are eligible to work after you graduate. Not all designated learning institutions make you eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
You have 180 days after you get your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
Along with graduating from an eligible designated learning institution, you need to meet all other criteria to get a post-graduation work permit:
  • You must have a valid study permit, valid visitor record, or if your student or visitor visa is expired, you must have applied to extend your study permit or change your status to visitor before your student visa expired.
  • You must have completed a full-time study program at a DLI that was at least eight (8) months long and led to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must apply within 180 days after you get your final marks for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
You can be graduated from any of the following DLIs:
  • a public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school, university or CEGEP (in Quebec)
  • a private post-secondary school (in Quebec) that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec
  • a private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, that leads to a diplôme d’études professionnelles(DVS/DEP) or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (AVS/ASP)
  • a Canadian private school that can award degrees under provincial law (for example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree), but only if you’re enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province.
You aren’t eligible for a PGWP if you
  • already received a PGWP
  • studied English or French as a second language
  • took general interest or self-improvement courses
  • participated in the Government of Canada Awards Program funded by Global Affairs Canada
  • had funding from Global Affairs Canada (If you got a Study in Canada scholarship, you’re still eligible for a PGWP.)
  • got the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile
  • participated in the Canada-China Scholars’ Exchanges Program
  • participated in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program
  • completed the majority of a study program by distance learning (online courses, e-learning or correspondence)
  • completed a study program at a non-Canadian institution located in Canada
  • Students beginning curriculum licensing agreement programs on or after May 15, 2024, will not be eligible for a PGWP

Accelerated Programs: If you complete your study program in less time than the normal length of the program, you may be eligible for a PGWP valid for the full length of your program.

Distance learning: If distance learning makes up less than 50% of your study program, you may be eligible for a PGWP. The length of the PGWP would match the length of your program, including both in-class and distance courses. Any distance courses completed outside Canada won’t be included in the length of the PGWP.

Authorized Leaves: There are a few cases where you may be able to take a leave of up to a maximum of 150 days from your program of studies and still be considered to be actively pursuing your studies. You can’t work on or off campus during an authorized leave from your study program, even if your study permit says you’re allowed to work in Canada.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



Step 1: Complete Your Studies in Canada

In order to be eligible for a post-graduation work permit, you need to complete a study program from a designated learning institution in Canada.
If you don’t have this, the first step would be to obtain an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution in Canada, apply and receive a study permit and complete your studies.

Step 2: Apply for Post-graduation Work Permit

You have up to 180 days to apply for a PGWP after you complete your studies. If your Study Permit expires before you get your final marks, you need to apply for a visitor record (change your status to visitor) or leave Canada and apply for PGWP from outside Canada.
If you are applying from outside Canada, a Visitor Visa (TRV) is issued upon approval. Applicant applying from inside Canada will have to apply for a TRV separately after their PGWP is approved, if they would like to travel outside Canada and return.
Applicants who are from countries whose national do not require a visa will receive an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) upon approval of their PGWP.
Temporary Work Permit
Submit Online Application:
Official Program Guide:
IRCC Application Fees:
Applicant: $155
Applicant with Open WP $100
Open WP – Spouse $155
Each child – Visitor $100
Biometrics: $85
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:

In Canada:

Outside Canada:


1-888-242-2100 (in Canada)

1-613-944-4000 (outside Canada)

Web Form:

Visa Office:

Validity of PGWP: For the programs with a duration of 8 months to 2 years, PGWP will be valid up to the same length of the program. For programs with duration of 2 years or more, PGWP will be valid for 3 years.

As of February 15, 2024, students who have completed a master’s degree program, regardless of its duration being less than 2 years, qualify for a 3-year PGWP provided they meet all other eligibility requirements.


If your passport expires earlier, your PGWP will be valid until your passport expires.

Extending your PGWP: You can only extend your PGWP if your passport expired earlier than your PGWP validity should have been. This would be indicated in a remark on your initial PGWP.

Unless under special circumstances (i.e. disability), submission of applications for Work Permit must be made online.
Your spouse may apply for an open work permit if you have started working in Canada. The open work permit should be location-restricted to the province you work in. The duration should match the lesser of either the passport validity or your work permit validity.

Step 3: Get your fingerprint and photo taken (Biometrics)

You and any members of your family between 14 and 79 years old need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics). You only need to give your biometrics once every 10 years. If you gave biometrics in the past as part of an application for a visitor visa, work or study permit and they’re still valid, you don’t need to give them again.
You will be contacted to give your biometrics and you will have 30 days from the date on the letter to do it.
In order to give biometrics you need to go to an official biometrics collection service point. You must give your biometrics in person.
Before you go, check the location’s website for its services and fees at (➨

Step 4: Work Permit Issuance

If your application is approved, you’ll get a letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. That letter is not a work permit.

If you are in Canada, the work permit will be mailed to your Canadian address. If you have applied from outside Canada, bring this letter with you when you travel to Canada and you will receive your work permit upon arrival.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.




Table of Contents

Scroll to Top

Kelly Crowl Masterclass

Don’t Miss Out!

Save your spot now and get the early bird discount Early Bird $80 | Drop-in $140