Close this search box.

Immigration Library™

Work Permit for Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (WP-RNIP)

Work Permit for Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot


Table of Contents




Work Permit through International Mobility Program (IMP)

If you meet the requirements for permanent residence under the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (➨Page), you will be eligible to apply for a 1-year temporary work permit once you have submitted a complete application for permanent residence.

This work permit is only for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot and only lets you work for the employer who offered you the job, in the participating community.

Qualified applicants are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (➨ under paragraph R205(a) of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (exemption code C15).

To see a list of LMIA exemption Codes (➨

Your spouse or common-law partner can apply for an open work permit at the same time as you apply for your 1-year work permit.

Their work permit will only let them work in the same community as you.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



Step 1: Submit work permit application

The application process for a temporary work permit for RNIP (LMIA Exemption code C15) is online. You can’t apply on paper.

Your application for the work permit must include the following:

  • The offer of employment from designated employer and proof your employer has paid the employer compliance fee of $230. For LMIA-exempt work permits, your employer must give you the Offer of Employment Number that begins with the letter “A” and is followed by seven digits.
  • A Recommendation Letter issued by one of the RNIP participation communities (Designated Economic Development Organizations), asking IRCC to issue a work permit.

To find out how to submit your application, see (➨

Step 2: Get your fingerprints and photo taken (biometrics)

You and any members of your family between 14 and 79 years old (excluding U.S. nationals) need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics). You only need to give your biometrics once every 10 years. If you gave biometrics in the past as part of an application for a visitor visa, work or study permit and they’re still valid, you don’t need to give them again.

You don’t need to give biometrics if you gave biometrics for your permanent residence application that is still being processed.

You will be contacted to give your biometrics and you will have 30 days from the date on the letter to do it.

In order to give biometrics you need to go to an official biometrics collection service point. You must give your biometrics in person.

Before you go check the location’s website for its services and fees at (➨

Depending on the location, you may need to make an appointment.

Temporary Work Permit
Submit Online Application:
IRCC Application Fees:
Applicant: $155
Applicant with Open WP $100
Open WP – Spouse $155
Each child – Visitor $100
Biometrics: $85
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:

In Canada:

Outside Canada:


1-888-242-2100 (in Canada)

1-613-944-4000 (outside Canada)

Web Form:

Visa Office:

Official Program Guide:

Step 3: Arrival with Work Permit

If your application is approved, you’ll get a letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. Bring this letter with you when you travel to Canada. You’ll get your work permit when you arrive in Canada.

The work permit will outline:

  • the type of work you can do
  • the employer you can work for (your own company)
  • where you can work, and
  • how long you can work

If you’re eligible to apply from within Canada, the work permit will be mailed to your Canadian address.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.




Table of Contents

Scroll to Top

Kelly Crowl Masterclass

Don’t Miss Out!

Save your spot now and get the early bird discount Early Bird $80 | Drop-in $140