Close this search box.

Immigration Library™

Work Permit for Students Co-op and Internship Programs (WP-ST)

work permit co-op and internship


Table of Contents




Work Permit through International Mobility Program (IMP)

Some study programs in Canada include work experience as part of their curriculum. Students of these programs may apply for an open work permit under International Mobility Program (IMP). Qualified candidates are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (➨ under paragraph R205(c) of Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (exemption codes C32 and C33).

To see a list of LMIA exemption Codes (➨

You can apply for a co-op or intern work permit if:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • work is required to complete your secondary or postsecondary program in Canada
  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

You aren’t eligible for a co-op work permit if you’re taking English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), general interest courses, or courses to prepare for another study program.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



Step 1: Complete Your Studies in Canada

In order to be eligible for a co-op or intern work permit, you need to complete a study program Canada that has a work placement requirement. If you don’t have this, the first step would be to obtain an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution in Canada, apply and receive a study permit (➨Page) and complete your studies.

You are making an offer of employment as owner/operator of your business. Therefore as an employer, you must first submit an offer of employment to yourself and pay the employer compliance fee.

Step 2: Apply for Co-op Work Permit

To be able to work, in addition to a study permit, you will need a co-op work permit.

If you are eligible, an open work permit can be issued with the institution listed as the employer. In situations where several work periods are necessary throughout the program, the work permit can be issued for the same period as the study permit.

Submission of applications for Work Permit can be done either online or on paper.

To find out how to submit your application, see (➨

Your spouse may apply for an open work permit. The open work permit should be location-restricted to the province you study in. The duration should match the lesser of either the passport validity or your work permit validity.

Step 3: Get your fingerprint and photo taken (Biometrics)

You and any members of your family between 14 and 79 years old need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics). You only need to give your biometrics once every 10 years. If you gave biometrics in the past as part of an application for a visitor visa, work or study permit and they’re still valid, you don’t need to give them again.

You will be contacted to give your biometrics and you will have 30 days from the date on the letter to do it.

In order to give biometrics you need to go to an official biometrics collection service point. You must give your biometrics in person.

Before you go, check the location’s website for its services and fees at (➨

Temporary Work Permit
IRCC Application Fees:
Applicant: $155
Applicant with Open WP: $100
Open WP – Spouse: $155
Each child – Visitor: $100
Biometrics: $85
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:
Submit the application online or by

1-888-242-2100 (in Canada)

1-613-944-4000 (outside Canada)

Web Form:

Visa Office:

Official Program Guide:

Step 4: Arrival with Work Permit

If your application is approved, you’ll get a letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. The work permit will be mailed to your Canadian address.

The work permit will outline:

  • the type of work you can do
  • the employer you can work for
  • where you can work, and
  • how long you can work

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.




Table of Contents

Scroll to Top

Kelly Crowl Masterclass

Don’t Miss Out!

Save your spot now and get the early bird discount Early Bird $80 | Drop-in $140