Close this search box.

Immigration Library™

Work Permit for Temporary Foreign Worker Program (WP-TFWP)

Work Permit


Table of Contents




Unless you fall under one of the exemption codes under the International Mobility program, your employer must apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (➨  and receive an approval from the government to hire you

The purpose of the LMIA is to ensure that there is no negative impact on the Canadian workers when you arrive in Canada as a temporary worker.

If your job is exempt from LMIA, you must apply under the International Mobility Program (IMP) (➨Page). Under IMP your employer must get an offer of employment number (LMIA exemption number) through IRCC’s Employer Portal (➨

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.


Minimum Requirements

The following requirements must be met if you are applying for a work permit under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program:

1- Job Offer

To apply for a work permit under TFWP, you need a job offer from a Canadian employer. Your employer must give you a job offer letter that includes information about your payment, duties and conditions of employment and you need to include a copy of this letter with your work permit application.

2- Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. Most employers need an LMIA before they can hire you. An LMIA confirms there is a need for a temporary foreign worker and no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.

3- Job Qualifications / Licensing

You must be able to do the job you are seeking. If the officer believes you are unable to execute the work, your work application will be refused.
Before beginning to work in Canada, the officer must be satisfied that you have the education, training, experience, language skills, and physical ability to perform the work, as well as that you have or can receive the certification or licence required for your occupation in Canada.

4- Quebec Acceptance Certificate (work in Quebec)

If your employer is in Quebec, you require a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) issued by the Gouvernement du Quebec. You can apply for your work permit when your CAQ is approved but you haven't received the CAQ yet.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



Step 1: Labour Market Impact Assessment

Most employers need an LMIA before they can hire you. An LMIA confirms there is a need for a temporary foreign worker and no Canadians or permanent residents are available to do the job.

To see if you are exempt from needing an LMIA or work permit, review the LMIA exemption codes (➨ and work permit exemptions (➨

Generally speaking, all employers must provide evidence that they have attempted to find qualified Canadian citizens or permanent residents to fill job positions before turning to foreign workers. In addition, employers may be inspected for compliance with government regulations after their employee has begun working in Canada.

LMIA application can be made online through LMIA Online (➨ or on paper by submitting the application and processing fees to service Canada processing center. 

LMIA Application must be submitted by your employer.

There are different procedures depending on whether you as a foreign employee are classified as “high-wage” or “low-wage”. Temporary foreign workers being paid under the provincial/territorial median wage are considered low-wage, while those being paid at or above the median wage are considered high-wage.
High and Low Wage (General)
The general application for LMIA is when the employer is hiring a temporary foreign worker for a wide range of positions under the high or low wage streams (➨
The wage being offered for the position will determine if you need to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment under the Stream for High-wage Positions or the Stream for Low-wage Positions, each with their own requirements.

If your employer is offering a wage to you that is at or above the provincial or territorial median hourly wage, he/she must apply under the Stream for high-wage positions. If it is below the provincial or territorial median hourly wage, the application must be submitted under the Stream for low-wage positions.

Median Hourly Wages by Province or Territory
Province/Territory Median hourly wages effective April 30, 2022
Alberta $28.85
British Columbia $26.44
Manitoba $23.00
New Brunswick $21.79
Newfoundland and Labrador $24.29
Northwest Territories $37.30
Nova Scotia $22.00
Nunavut $36.00
Ontario $26.06
Prince Edward Island $21.63
Quebec $25.00
Saskatchewan $25.96
Yukon $32.00

Employers seeking to hire high-wage workers must submit transition plans with their LMIA application to ensure that they are taking steps to reduce their reliance on temporary foreign workers over time. Employers seeking to hire low-wage workers do not need a transition plan.

Express Entry
The LMIA Express Entry application (➨ is for hiring a skilled foreign worker to support their permanent residence. Employers who wish to hire skilled foreign workers and support their permanent resident visa application can make an eligible job offer under the Express Entry system. The job offer must meet the criteria of one of the following economic immigration programs:
  • Federal Skilled Worker Program (➨Page)
  • Federal Skilled Trades Program (➨Page)
  • Canadian Experience Class (➨Page)
Global Talent Stream
The LMIA Global Talent Stream (➨ is for hiring highly-skilled global talent to expand the employer’s workforce in Canada and to be competitive on a global scale.
This Stream, is designed for innovative firms in Canada that are referred to Employment and Social Development Canada by a Designated Referral Partner and that need unique and specialized foreign nationals in order to scale-up and grow. It is also intended for firms in Canada that need to fill an in-demand highly-skilled position on the Global Talent Occupations List.
Hiring foreign academics can help post-secondary educational institutions in Canada meet their staffing and teaching needs. Special hiring criteria have been developed through this stream (➨ in cooperation with universities, degree-granting colleges, and unions representing Canadian academics. These criteria are designed to take into account the career development and employment of Canadian academics.
This specialized LMIA application (➨ is for hiring on-farm foreign workers for jobs in primary agriculture.

When the production is included in the National Commodities list, the Canadian employer can hire a temporary foreign agricultural worker under one of the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (from Mexico or a participating Caribbean country)  or Agricultural stream (from any country). If the production is not included in the National Commodities list, the general high-wage or low-wage applications must be used.

Families can hire a foreign caregiver under the Caregiver application (➨ to provide care, in a private residence, to children, seniors or persons with certified medical needs, when Canadians and permanent residents are not available.
These families or private household employers will be able to hire foreign workers, on a live-in or live out basis, for 2 categories of in-home workers, which include caregivers for children (NOC 44100) or caregivers for people with high medical needs (NOC 31301, 32101, 44101)
Foreign caregivers working in Canada under NOC 44100 or 44101, may be eligible for permanent residency under the Home Child Care Provider Pilot and the Home Support Worker Pilot (➨Page).
Positions in Quebec
If the employer is in Quebec, the LMIA applications (➨ must be submitted to Service Canada and to MIFI (Quebec government) simultaneously.

Step 2: Get Quebec Acceptance Certificate (for Work in Quebec)

Working in Quebec (under TFWP where you need an LMIA) requires an additional step in the process. You will have to apply for a “Certificat d'Acceptation du Québec (CAQ)” (➨ It is only after receiving your CAQ that you can apply for the Work Permit.

You must prepare your complete application and send them to your employer so that they can follow up your application for a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ).
CAQ Application
Apply Online:

Must be done by your employer

Official Program Guide:
Quebec Application Fee:
Main applicant: $222
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:

Tel: 514-864-9191

Fax: 514-864-8158

(general questions)

Step 3: Apply for Work Permit

For the jobs that require work permit, when you have an LMIA approval, you may apply for a work permit (➨

Unless under exceptional circumstances (such as disability), submission of applications for Work Permit must be done online.

Your spouse (or common-law partner) may be eligible for an open work permit under exemption code C41 if:

  • You are a skilled worker who holds a work permit that is valid for a period of at least six (6) months, or, if working without a work permit, present evidence that you will be working for a minimum of six (6) months.
  • You are a skilled worker who is employed in an occupation that falls within National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 (➨Appendix 1). Work can be part-time or full-time.
  • You physically reside or plan to physically reside in Canada while working.

Step 4: Get your fingerprint and photo taken (Biometrics)

You and any members of your family between 14 and 79 years old need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics). You only need to give your biometrics once every 10 years. If you gave biometrics in the past as part of an application for a visitor visa, work or study permit and they’re still valid, you don’t need to give them again.
You will be contacted to give your biometrics and you will have 30 days from the date on the letter to do it.
Temporary Work Permit
Submit Online Application:
Official Program Guide:

In Canada:

Outside Canada:

Quebec Application Fee:
Applicant: $155
Spouse: $155
Spouse Open WP Fee: $100
Each child – Visitor $100
Biometrics: $85
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:

In Canada:

Outside Canada:


1-888-242-2100 (in Canada)

1-613-944-4000 (outside Canada)

Web Form:

Visa Office:

In order to give biometrics you need to go to an official biometrics collection service point. You must give your biometrics in person.
Before you go, check the location’s website for its services and fees at (➨

If you’re applying for your work permit, you will automatically be given a visa or eTA if you need one. If you already have a work permit, make sure that your visitor visa is still valid if you choose to leave Canada and re-enter. If you need an eTA and you’re flying to a Canadian airport, make sure you travel with the passport that’s electronically linked to your eTA. You must travel with your valid work permit, a valid passport and travel document.

If you’re eligible to work without a permit, you’re considered a visitor to Canada. You must meet the entry requirements for travelers from your country of citizenship.

Step 5: Arrival with Work Permit

If your application is approved, you’ll get a letter that says you’re allowed to work in Canada. Bring this letter with you when you travel to Canada. You’ll get your work permit when you arrive in Canada.
The work permit will outline:
  • the type of work you can do
  • the employer you can work for
  • where you can work, and
  • how long you can work

If you’re eligible to apply from within Canada, the work permit will be mailed to your Canadian address.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.




Table of Contents

Scroll to Top

Kelly Crowl Masterclass

Don’t Miss Out!

Save your spot now and get the early bird discount Early Bird $80 | Drop-in $140