Close this search box.

Immigration Library™

Newfoundland and Labrador International Graduate Stream (NLIG)

Newfoundland and Labrador International Graduate Stream

  • P.N.P: Provincial Nominee Programs
  • E.D: Employer-driven
  • C.E: Canadian Experience
  • EDU: Education-driven

Table of Contents




Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP)

The Newfoundland and Labrador International Graduate Stream gives recent graduates from a Canadian university or college who has a job offer from a Newfoundland and Labrador employer, the opportunity to apply to permanently live and work in the province.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



The following requirements must be met if you are applying to the Newfoundland and Labrador International Graduate Stream:

1- Education in Canada

You must have completed a minimum of a two-year diploma or degree program and graduated from an eligible publicly funded Canadian college or university while studying on a full-time basis. One-year post-graduate degree programs and certificate programs which require a previous degree or diploma (which may have been obtained abroad) are also eligible.
If you completed your studies at a recognized post-secondary institute outside of Newfoundland and Labrador, your job or job offer must be related to your field of study. You also may be required to work for a minimum of one (1) year prior to submission of your PNP application.

2- Job Offer Requirement

At the time of your application and at the time the NLPNP assesses your application for nomination, you must have a bona fide full-time job offer from a Newfoundland and Labrador employer, in a TEER 0, 1, 2 Occupation (➨Appendix 1), or a TEER 3 that is an In-demand Occupation (➨ in Newfoundland and Labrador. Under NLPNP the job or job offer should be for at least one (1) year with the possibility of extension.
You and your spouse must not have ownership of more than %10 in the NL Company that has offered you the job.
The Employer must have certain qualifications as well as either a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) (➨ or a Job Vacancy Assessment (JVA) by the province’s office of immigration.

In order to apply for JVA, your employer can send an email to [email protected] to state they need a JVA. Their email should include the business name and location.

Your full-time position should be related to your field of study. However you are permitted to hold a position that is not directly related to your field of study if you are a graduate of Memorial University or College of the North Atlantic and your position also meets the following criteria:
  • Can reasonably be expected to lead to your career advancement;
  • Is in a field in which you have a recent (i.e. in the last 5 years) combination of skill, experience and/or training.

3- Work Permit

You must have a valid post-graduate work permit (➨Page) and legal status in Canada. The work permit must have at least 4 months validity remaining at the time of application.

4- Age

You must be between 21 and 59 years of age.

5- Language Ability

You must have English or French language capability to perform the employment duties.  If your assessed occupation is in TEER 4 or 5 of national Occupation Classification (➨Appendix 1), you must have an approved test results taken within the past two (2) years and have obtained a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark CLB 4 in all for abilities in English or French (➨Appendix 5).

6- Settlement Funds

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada based on 50% of Statistics Canada’s Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) (➨Appendix 2).

You must have the “Minimum Funds Required” for a minimum of three (3) months before you submit your application. 

7- Ineligibility

You are not eligible to apply under the Newfoundland and Labrador Express Entry Stream if:

  • You are a student who has studied in Canada under sponsorship from an agency or government that expects you to return to your country of origin once you graduate.
  • You are a refugee claimant in Canada, a failed refugee claimant, had a removal order, are prohibited from entering or being in Canada, do not have status in Canada or are living illegally in your country of residence.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.



Step 1: Complete Your Studies in Canada

In order to apply under the Newfoundland and Labrador International Graduate Stream, the first step is to a complete a post-secondary degree or diploma from a publicly-funded Canadian post-secondary institution.

You need a study permit (➨Page) in order to study in Canada. Before you apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from one of the above institutions.

Step 2: Apply for Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

After completion of studies in Canada, you need to apply for and obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) (➨Page).

Step 3: Get a Job Offer in Newfoundland and Labrador

In order to be qualified under the Newfoundland and Labrador Skilled Worker Stream and submit your application, you must have a bona fide full-time job offer from an employer in the province in an eligible occupation.

As a foreign worker in Canada, you first need to find an employer and secure the job for yourself. The criteria for your job in Newfoundland and Labrador are explained in “Minimum Requirements”.

If you are currently in Canada, you must have legal status to work and must have a valid work permit for the duration of the application process.

Step 4: Submit Application to NLPNP

Under this stream, you do not need to register or submit and Expression of Interest (EOI) and may proceed directly to the application via NLPNP Online portal (➨
You must first create your online account and receive a Web Access Code in your email. You will need this code to access your online account, where you can complete and submit your application.
You may submit your application by providing the Application Forms and all supporting documentation and paying the application by credit card in the NLPNP Online Portal.
All supporting documents must be scanned and uploaded in your online application and you need to submit a complete application online.
NLPNP Application
Submit Online Application:
Official Program Guide:
NLPNP Application Fee:
Processing Time:
Document Checklist:

within the online portal

[email protected]
After you submit your application, you will receive an email confirming that your file has been received and accepted for processing. This will include your NLPNP file number.
You can check the status of your application through your account in the NLPNP Online system.
If your application is successful, you will receive a Nomination Approval Letter and a NLPNP Certificate of Nomination.

Step 5: Apply for Permanent Residence

If you are nominated by the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, then your next step is to submit a complete application for a permanent resident visa within six (6) months (➨Page).

You must submit your application using the IRCC Permanent Residence Portal (PR Portal) (➨ 

If your application is complete, you will receive a letter or an email confirming that your file has been received and accepted for processing. This letter is called the Acknowledge of Receipt (AOR) and will include your IRCC file number.

Once you have received your acknowledgement of receipt, you can create an online account and link your application to it. By creating an account, you will be able to receive email updates and a more detailed case status.

Apply for a Temporary Work Permit
Once your employer has an approved Job Vacancy Assessment (JVA), and you are successfully nominated, NLPNP can provide a letter of support for that work permit. Jobs with LMIA do not need letter of support in order to apply for work permit.

For those of you who are in Newfoundland and Labrador on a valid work permit, once you submit your complete PR application, you may apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) (➨Page). This will let you continue working on a valid work permit until your PR application is finalized.

Step 6: Landing in Canada

If your application is approved, you will be asked to pay your right of permanent residence fee if you haven't already done so. You will receive a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) and if you are from a country that requires a visa you will also be issued a permanent resident visa.

You will only become a Permanent Resident of Canada when you cross a Canadian port of entry. This is referred to as ‘landing in Canada' (➨Page).

You must land in Canada before the expiry date, which appears on your Canada Immigration Visa. Usually, the expiry date is one (1) year from the time medical examinations were completed. As this is not always the case, be sure to verify the expiry date as soon as the Canada Immigration Visa is received.

Ready to take the next step towards your Canadian immigration journey? Fill out the form below and embark on your path to new opportunities.






Table of Contents

Scroll to Top

Kelly Crowl Masterclass

Don’t Miss Out!

Save your spot now and get the early bird discount Early Bird $80 | Drop-in $140